If your thinking about trying to conceive, here are a few things you may want to consider before you become pregnant.
- Talk with your doctor about your decision to have a child. Your doctor will be able to inform you wisely based on your family medical history or any health concerns that he may have that may cause a high risk of birth defects.
- Make sure to discuss all the medications you are currently taking to ensure that these medications are safe for you and baby during pregnancy.
- Get a good overall pre-pregnacy checkup where you get tested for high blood, diabetes and cholesterol.
- Get checked for hepatitis B and C, sexually transmitted infections, and HIV
- If you smoke...Quit! It is not healthy for either you or your baby
- In addition to eating healthy, you may want to consider boosting your system with prenatal vitamins.
- It's particularly important to get sufficient amount of folic acid before getting pregnant. Folic acid helps prevent birth defects like spina bifida, a condition that may arise very early in pregnancy.